[ale] Re: Anyone having problems with comcast now?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:55:40 EST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 11:20 AM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2005 10:58 AM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm having trouble at home, and I wonder if it is a comcast problem.
> > I can only get to google on the web.  I can't get to cnn, slashdot,
> > xilinx, or even comcast.net.
>
> Hmm.  My laptop is okay.  I've rebooted my router, and then my
> computer, but I'm still having this trouble.
>
> What can cause this?  Ping works, and I can make TCP connections, but
> I can't get much data through them.  wget hangs, and so does my mail
> reader.

That was really weird.  My laptop (wireless) and another computer
(wired) both worked, but my desktop did not.  I rebooted it and the
router and it was still broken.  I could ping and make connections,
but I couldn't read any websites except ones on google, localhost, and
the router.  I couldn't get mail, either.

I went to lunch and there musta have been a power outage as the
computers were all off (except the laptops, of course).  When I booted
my main system it worked fine!

I don't have the faintest idea what could have been wrong.  Surreal.

Michael

I don't have the faintest idea what