[ale] Linspire and other commercial distros

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 29 11:02:06 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 10:15, Mlfveer at cs.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to the ALE list, but not new to oss. Generally, what is the
> response to 'commercial' Linux variants? I cut my teeth on Corel's version
> of Linux years ago, and progressed to SuSE (which I now use). The reason I
> ask is that I am consistently asked for 'the easiest distro to install for
> a non-geek.' I've always felt that SuSE was pretty easy to install, but
> have read some glowing reviews of Linspire and Xandros.

I haven't tried Linspire. I started on Mandrake, then went SuSE Personal 8.2,
SuSE Professional 9.0 and SuSE Pro 9.1. I would HIGHLY recommend SuSE for a
new user, as the user guide as great. I refer to it often.

My wife and kids have been able to get along just fine in SuSE, but
occasionally prefer Windows for online multimedia support, online games
(shockwave), and games we previously bought on CD. I think any distro would
have those drawbacks, though.