[ale] scripted lfs?

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 07:27:57 EDT 2004

oh i forgot well its just like gentoo essentially scripted installs starts
as binary i486 packages when installed and can be optimized however the
part im not so sure about is all scripting done in bash. trying to get the
system as small as possible and adding perl or python adds many
dependencies and such... it may also be undesired for some applications.
im intending this to be for any application embedded, server, desktop you
name it. the install cd can drop the tarball of a working system onto the
pc with minimal setup (just preparing the partitions and file system) or
compile and install from the cd to hard disk. the base system will be as
small as possible, ive seen people fit a lot in small places ie. floppies
and mini cds i believe i can get this looking good for all applications :)

well if nothing else it was a good daydream.

--- Stephen Turner <artic_knight at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hey ive played with gengoo a little and was considering making my own
> scripts for building systems. what i had in mind was to take a general
> kernal like redhat debian or various install or boot cds use plus a very
> minimal system just enough to untar onto a system and install lilo or
> something and be a usable system. from there have it able to use a dl
> agent like wget and bash scripts. what i had aimed at doing was making
> the
> quickest to install easiest to modify system. a real linux from scratch
> that comes prepackaged. the scripts would have different settings, some
> automatically keeping things up to date (could be dangerous at breaking
> systems i know.).
>
> i liked gentoos scripted installs and dep handlers. it installs only
> what
> you need. however gentoo installs some unneeded apps for servers
> sometimes, eh not many and yes they can be edited out but what about a
> very basic system that can be used as a pre-scripted firewall, webserver
> or desktop system? and gentoo downloads all the scripts, what i had
> hoped
> for was a central repository of scripts and downloading only the ones
> you
> use, and no need for updated scripts as these would seek out the most
> updated version of the package.
>
> has anyone seen something like this? or wrote something like this? ive
> been busy lately just got back into playing with linux :-p took a cruise
> down to the bahamas, said hi to ivan. lots of fun. oh well later guys.
>
> =====
> ::: common sense? does it come with a manual?:::

=====
::: common sense? does it come with a manual?:::