[ale] Cell phones

Michael Still michaelstill at tmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:57:39 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:37 am, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Sunday 26 September 2004 09:56 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>>  I'm looking at changing cell phone providers. Nextel can't provide a
>>  phone that can access a web page work diddle-squat ( I need to check a
>>  web calendar to make sure I don't double book my time. again).  I like
>>  the walkie-talkie with Nextel, but I can live with out it.
>>
>>  I really like the  Palm Treo, except the price, but I am not tied to
>>  that phone.
>>
>>  What are people on the go using and how do you like it?
>
> I was really impressed with a friends hip-top.  It has a built-in
> claendar,
> and about 2 seconds after you use it it is syncronized to a web-server
> and
> you can see it on the web, too.  All your contacts are synced, also.
>
> It does mean, however, that your can't use your native linux tools.  I
> have no
> idea if there is any sort of programming API (e.g. web services) for
> the web
> side of things which would allow you to interact with it in other ways.
>
> Michael
I just got the new sidekick2 from tmo. I'm really loving it. Although
the interface is basically the same, it does feel snappier and doesn't
get hung up doing garbage collection like the old one.

Some key points:
- umlimited data plans
- cheap ssh client ($10)
- nice web browser but still not full javascript (no gmail)
- nice color screen
- keyboard takes a little getting used to
- improved cellular reception than previous gen.
- intellisync to *mumble*
- software dev in java. Includes restrictions, see the danger dev site.
- desktop interface via internet to access all your info