[ale] C++ Debuggery and the Path of Destruction

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 24 20:46:42 EDT 2004

ALErs -

I'm debugging some C++ compiled with gcc-[2.96|3.3], using gdb-5.2 in a
RH-7.3 environment. One of my objects is segfaulting on destruction and
I'm having trouble tracking it down. In fact, when I back up the fatal
stack I find I'm in the destructor for an identical object which happens
to be in a different class!

$%#$@^!!!

Naturally, I got a bit too clever and am handing pointers to one object
whose targets were allocated in another, and the originator - not the user
- must do the destruction.  I may be tripping on something like this, but
I'm not finding where I jumped the rails.

Any suggestions how to track this self-administered wedgie down?

TIA.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu