[ale] telnet help

fgz fzamenski at voyager.net
Wed Sep 22 22:19:01 EDT 2004

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:01:15 -0400, Barnes, Michael
> <mbarnes at tiaa-cref.org> wrote:
> > Both of the machines are on the same sub-net and as far as I can
tell, there
> > is not a fire-wall involved. Is there a quick way to determine if I
am
> > mistaken?
>
> Having just installed RH9 on a machine myself, I had problems with
> getting NIS to work, because of the internal firewall - check the main
> menu->System Settings->Security settings
> and try turning the firewall off.

Erm, ipchains and/or ipwrappers, or something like that, perhaps? Part
of RH9's default out of the box hardening? The one time I installed RH9
at work (been a while now and I don't use it much), seems there was
some menu setting that will show all running daemons, from there most
can be enabled/disabled at will, and/or disabled at start up. Each one
is also explained there. Find that, and you should be all set.