[ale] telnet help

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Sep 22 19:03:43 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Barnes, Michael wrote:

> Can someone point me in a direction for setting up telnet correctly?
>
> I have RH9 and am unable to telnet to my computer from the outside.
>
> I have checked to make sure that the process is running my running telnet on
> the back(This works by the way)
>
> However, when I attempt to telnet to this box from somewhere else (same
> subnet) I get an error that says that I am unable to connect to the system.
> Even though I am able to ping the system.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

You probably have a firewall blocking the telnet port (23?). However,
before you go and tweak the firewall, you should realize that telnet is
(rightfully) considered very insecure. A more secure, robust and more
powerful alternative is ssh, which is probably installed already. Try this
from a remote machine:

$ ssh [username]@[machine name]

good luck!

 	bjorn