[ale] Windows crashes L.A. Airport

Bob Toxen transam at cavu.com
Tue Sep 21 22:23:54 EDT 2004

>From Slashdot...
Posted by michael on Tuesday September 21, @05:48PM

from the first-woodpecker-to-come-along dept.
fname writes "The recent shutdown of LAX due to an FAA radio outage was
apparently caused by a Windows 2000 integration flaw, possibility related
to an old Windows 95 bug. An article at the LA Times claims that the
outage was caused by human error, as the system will automatically shut
down after 49.7 days (related to this Windows 95 flaw?), and a technician
didn't reboot the system monthly as he should have.

This happened after an [downgrade] from Unix to Windows. I don't think
blame should be assigned to the technician who missed the task; rather,
it seems a gross oversight for the FAA to guarantee that such a critical
system will crash after only one missed maintenance task. Who's really
at fault?"  [My Linux firewall has been up for about 500 days.  Many
suspect that the recent Northeast blackout was caused by a Windows virus.]