[ale] Firefox & IE ... yada yada yada

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 18:36:12 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 16:21, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> If you are not satisfied with IE security, then you are not satisfied with
> XP security. I understand what you _think_ you are saying. I'm just pointing
> out what you are _really_ saying. You can't realistically separate the two,
> so it seems you have a decision to make.

LOL! You think you know me better than you realize, and I won't even
venture to guess how you, via email, can determine my satisfaction. ;)

First, I have a long and distinguished past history as a Windows
developer.  And that doesn't imply that I am out-of-touch just because I
don't actively do Windows development today  I do know Windows internals
and the way IE "integrates" with the OS.  Heck, I could probably teach
OLE, COM, DCOM, ActiveX and perhaps even .NET. :)  (only mentioned
because you seem to be challenging my knowledge)

Secondly, IE and XP are TWO different applications.  There is no
separate distribution of IE between different Windows versions.  There
are underlying dll differences, but I didn't ask about removing dlls.
Rundll can be a similar hazard, however it isn't as wide a hazard as
iexplore.

You are wrong when you say they can't be realistically separate, I now
have 2 systems right now with NO iexplore.exe on them and XP and Win2k
are both still running, even after reboots.  My original question was
presented to see if others had run into any problems.  The only one so
far is with other applications that use OLE,etc to display HTML (Norton
Anti-Virus 2005 for example).

Btw, I'd like to know what decision you think I have to make.  Me thinks
you don't understand my situation.

-Jim P.