[ale] 'Nother sshd confiuration question

Tejus Parikh tejus at vijedi.net
Sun Sep 19 10:05:14 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 09:42, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I have some problems configuring 'sshd' (built from 'openssh-3.7.1p2'
Why this version? It's over a year old, and, IIRC, it had a remote root
hole.

> sources) on my RH-7.3 box. As I had previously written, I haven't been
> able to enable key-based authentication (using ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub instead
> of password entry),

Along with the public key in the ~/.ssh directory of the computer you
are trying to ssh from, you need to have an authorized key on the
computer you are trying to connect to.  This is from memory, so I may
have it backwards.  Since I generally ssh from/to a bunch of computers,
I have both keys in ~/.ssh on each machine.  Make sure the permissions
to that directory is 600.

> and also seem unable to set the 'PermitRootLogin no'
> so as to prohibit an outsider a directl login as 'root' (the idea being
> login as a known user, then use 'su' from that shell to acquire root
> privileges).

Try sshd -f /path/to/config/file

Hope this helps...
--