[ale] The Firefox Throwdown

Van Loggins vanloggins at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 06:07:52 EDT 2004

Firefox is my favorite web browser! :)

I downloaded the 1.0 prerelease and loaded it on my slackware linux
box, and I've installed the windows version on my gaming computer. I'm
currently testing it and the thunderbird 0.8 release as a potential
replacement for netscape on our NCD thin client X terminals.

I am hopeful that it will be a little bit less resource intensive, as
netscape crashing or freezing up is one of our biggest problems with
having users use it in a thin client environment for their email and
their web browser.

I have looked at several other programs for email, but I need
something that's GTK and doesn't use gnome or kde as both are too
resource intensive to have 20 or more users running it from the X
server. and I have found that the more processes a program fires off
on these thin clients, then the more likely it is for the program to
have problems and hang up or crash. Our terminals use motif and if a
kde or gnome program is started they fire up all of the stuff
necessary to get the gnome or kde program to run.

So far firefox 1.0 prerelease, and thunderbird 0.8 work very well
except for a few little minor integration bugs.

I can provide more details if anyone here wants to discuss it further.

have a great day!

Van