[ale] Any Input Would Be Appreciated!

Matthew Magee mnmagee at juno.com
Wed Sep 15 23:26:03 EDT 2004

Parker McGee wrote:

>I'm writing an essay for College English about open source development
>and users, and the motivations behind it.  If you could answer these
>questions, it would help me greatly!  The more people the better!
>Thanks!
>
>1) Why do you use open source software?  What makes it "better" than
>proprietary?  Can you think of any specific examples?

Well, I can say as a fellow student that using open source software
ensures that I do not encounter any arbitrary limitations in my
education.   Nearly any (every?) task that is possible with current
technology can be achieved with open source software.  The only limit is
me.  This would be leaning more toward the free (libre) side of things.

When I was working as an auto mechanic, I would never refuse to teach my
customers how to fix their own cars.  It may have cost me a few dollars
here and there, but I know what it means to be self-reliant and I will
not hold another man down.  I am grateful that people like Richard
Stallman also share this view as it applies to computing technology.

So the answer is.... it gives me more control.