[ale] console news reader

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Sep 14 20:09:57 EDT 2004

    Preston> I'm interested in using a console news reader and was
    Preston> wondering what list members prefer.  (I used to have a
    Preston> how-to for configuring slrn, but the links are no longer
    Preston> valid.)  What's the better (console)
    Preston> newsreader/downloader and where's a good tutorial on
    Preston> setting it up?

If you're an emacs person (i.e. not a vi using heathen :) take a look
at GNUS.  It has the benefit of working anywhere (x?)emacs does (and
with the right setup you can use the same session from either a tty or
X) and it handles NNTP, IMAP, RSS, and several other sources of news
and news-like stuff.  I've never set it up to do so but I'm fairly
sure it supports offline / bulk news browsing (personally I've used
leafnode to set up a local spool rather than gnus' naitive stuff).

I've been using it as my primary mail and news
reader for probably going on clost to 10 years now (in concert with
mh/nmh and recently Mail.app on OS X).

http://gnus.org/