[ale] Linux connecting to MS SQL

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Sep 13 19:36:38 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 19:01, Jeb Barger wrote:
> Ok, I was working on this most of the day today, and there has got to be
> a better way.
>

> I am converting a webapp to Mandrake 10 using php, however, it still
> needs to connect to the microsoft sql server.  Is there an easy way to
> do this?  Articles I have read, suggest using a piece that converts the
> odbc connection to xml, and using php to connect that way.  I am new to
> linux, and I know there has to be a better way.  Any suggestions?
>
> Jeb

I don't know the how to do it from PHP, but I know we have it working
from Java on SUSE to MS SQL.  We bought a JDBC connector for a few
hundred dollars.  It is a native Java type 4 driver, so it will run in
any compatible JVM (ie. it is OS independent), including the one that
comes with SUSE.

So if no one else has any ideas, you could write some JSP code to link
to a Java type 4 JDBC driver.  Then somehow invoke the JSP logic.

FYI: we bought the Sprinta JDBC driver from inetsoftware:

     http://www.inetsoftware.de/

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer