[ale] Booting From DVDROM

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Sep 11 00:06:38 EDT 2004

Danny Cox wrote:
> Geoffrey,
>
> On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 16:49, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>>	It refuses to boot from a CD!  I won't go into everything I've tried,
>>>but I've done lots, including a different plain CDROM drive (do you know
>>>how scarce a plain vanilla CDROM drive is nowadays? ;-).
>

>>Do you see the cdrom drive led light as if it's attempting to access the
>

> 	When it's first detected (prior to displaying the drive IDs), yes.  Not
> when it's attempting to boot.

So, it does appear that it's not even attempting to go to the drive, as
you should at least see a flicker.  Do you have any other bootable disks
you might try to see if it might be a bios issue?

>>drive?  Are you trying to boot from a known good cd?
>

> 	It's a CD I burned, and another computer boots from it just fine.

Try burning another at a slower speed.  You might have a marginal burn.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995