[ale] Booting From DVDROM

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 10 20:26:02 EDT 2004

William,

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 17:03, William Bagwell wrote:
> > A7N8X-X with an Athlon 3000+ and 1 GB ram (woo hoo!)
>
> > 	I've got the BIOS' three BOOT options all pointing to the CDROM (and
> > I've tried all sorts of combos), and it still goes straight to the GRUB
> > MBR on the HD!  Rats!  And, yes: the BIOS prints out the ID of the
> > drive, so it "recognizes it", for some definition of "recognize".
>
> Similar issue with an A7V8X-X, had to turn off (un-check) HD in the BIOS boot
> options. Just changing the order does not work. Not sure what you mean by
> "all three"?

	I'm typing this from memory, so take it with a large lump of salt....

	In the BIOS, under the Advanced Chipset settings, there are four
fields: First, Second, and Third Boot; these have many entries including
Disabled, HD-1, CDROM, USB-HD, etc.  I've tried changing all three of
these to CDROM, setting only one to CDROM, and the others to Disabled,
and various other combos.

  The fourth field is 'Boot other device' or something close.  I've
tried that it both disabled and enabled.

	However, I'll look again.  I don't know what you mean by 'un-check' HD
in the options.  There's no check box, just a list of values to the
right of each label that you can scroll through with the '+' or '-'
keys.

Danny