[ale] Broadband Router Recommendations?

alelist alelist at christopherrussell.net
Wed Sep 8 19:41:08 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 19:25, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Wizards also mean limited functionality.
>
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 19:20, alelist wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 19:00, Danny Cox wrote:
> > > 	At long last, my faithful 200 MHz 'puter that is my router and IP
> > > masquerader is about to bite the dust.  It uses an AT power supply, of
> > > which I had two, but only one is working :-(.
> > >
> > > 	Does anyone have any opinions for or against of the various routers?  I
> > > see Monarch has a D-Link DI-604 4-port for $50.  The only thing that
> > > makes me wary is the heading, "Simple Set-Up Wizard for Easy
> > > Installation".  I only run Linux @ home, and "wizards" are typically
> > > windows.  I'd like one that had a web based approach, I think.
> > >
> > > 	Let the opinions fly!
> > >
> > > 	Thanks!
> >
> > Check:
> > You have modem, and you need to replace the router, which  I assume (?)
> > would also be your firewall / router ?
> >
> > I've had Linksys, D-Link (which would not block port 515- unix spool
> > printer), et al.
> >
> > Recommend:
> > Build your own box, and it does not have to be a 2GHz CPU! Block
> > everything by default, and only allow services that you need. Port scans
> > will be dropped if not from outside IP addresses that you allow.
> > Iptables is good for you!
> >
> > If you choose otherwise, I have both D-Link and Linksys router /
> > firewall to sell you. You pay shipping.

Belkin 4 port Cable - dSl gateway / router sitting here (collecting
dust). And when I said "to sell you. You pay shipping..." I meant
"shipping" would be your total cost.

Until you realize 'wizards' OR 'limited functionality' = liability.

If you have money, buy a book- FC2 by Christopher Negus, or something
specific to iptables. I believe it's the difference between giving me a
meal and teaching me to fish...

hth
chris
--