[ale] Broadband Router Recommendations?

Barry Rountree rountree at cs.uga.edu
Wed Sep 8 19:28:06 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 07:00 pm, Danny Cox wrote:

> 	Does anyone have any opinions for or against of the various routers?

Linksys BEFSR41.  Simple, cheap, & just works.  Amazon has them for $50.  Web
interface for setup (not lynx-friendly, though).  I've bought them for my ex,
ex-inlaws, new girlfriend, new neighbor... and mom.  Basically, if someone
asks me to secure their computer, the first thing I do is stick one of these
in front of it.

It's not open source, it's not wireless, and it's not going to be as effective
as a dedicated box.  But it's much, much better than nothing.

If you want a cheap dedicated box, the Linksys WAP54G wireless is only $66 on
amazon and runs linux.  Probably a time sink, but could be a lot of fun.

Best,

Barry