[ale] What's so special about gmail invites?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 7 16:59:45 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 02:13:52PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> I am not an idiot.

I never meant to imply that you were (or anybody else, for that matter).
On the contrary, I think your posts are intelligent, witty, and/or
funny.  I didn't mean to be disrespectful or insulting, if it came
across that way then please accept my apologies.

> The point you are missing is that gmail's reason for
> existing is NOT to provide an email service, but to get data via email
> in order to provide a service to other companies.
>
> There's huge difference in sending an email to an individual who is
> using your run of the mill isp, verses sending an email to someone who's
> email provider's focus is providing a service via those email messages
> to third parties.

I'm not missing the point, I just don't agree that there's such a big
difference between these two scenarios.  As far as we know, the only
real difference is that google is up front about the targeted
advertising.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9