[ale] What's so special about gmail invites?

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at sciatl.com
Tue Sep 7 11:06:00 EDT 2004

Geoffrey wrote:
> Pete Hardie wrote:
>
>> alelist wrote:
>>
>>> Google involves a third party. The advertisers, who may inherit rights
>>> and demands in the contract with GMail.
>>>
>>> Read the links already supplied in these posts..., otherwise most people
>>> would think that you do not care for Federal Law - just like Jet Blue!
>>

>> How is this any different than Google scanning mailing list archives,
>> and presenting targetted ads to a user browsing the web via Google
>> searches?
>

> Because email list archives are public, personal email I send to
> fool at gmail.com is not. (note I did not say private email..)

Note however, that the recipient of the email is allowed to do pretty much
anything they desire with it, short of libel/slander.

>> The ads are still presented to the individual using Google, the topics
>> are still public on mailing lists, etc?
>>
>> Now, I tend to agree somewhat that it seems a bit naive to use gmail
>> for personal email, if only because it means that someone may at some
>> point get 1TB of your personal stuff in the Google Chapter 11
>> firesale, but you already send email to people who may be archiving it
>> and analyzing it for any purpose.
>

> Not in the way, capacity gmail will.

Note that I'm basically agreeing with you - personal email is debatable, but
mail sent to lists, etc is already public, so it's not an issue.

>> I mean, corporations wouldn't do anything *illegal* now, even for
>> profit, would they?
>

> Which corporations would you be alluding to?  Certainly not isps??

My bad...missing smiley on my question.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.