[ale] Install Issues with my inspiron 8500

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Sep 6 18:28:39 EDT 2004

On 6 Sep 2004, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 16:56, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

<<snip details>
> My FD2 download  all the disks passed the md5sum check for the iso and
> all passed the diskcheck test in the install program. I STILL had
> problems with unreadable files!
>
> Apparently, the need to burn at a slower speed for install disks has not
> been fully tested yet. There are some disk heating issues with numerous
> drives. This is more prevalent with multi-disk Linux installs the normal
> head placement calibrations occur with a cooler drive.

Two weeks ago, I had a headache with self-burned CDs for a Fedora Core2
install, and none of the reburns worked worth a pituie (technical term
8-)) either. Joy was had by swaping out the cd-rom drive for another one
lying around the house.

Which now begs the question - is there a way for a general user to test a
cd or dvd drive to discover if it is within spec? Same question for a
drive capable of burning same also.