[ale] question about SAMBA and a windows program called ACT

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Sep 3 08:56:20 EDT 2004

Van Loggins wrote:
> I have a company who is needing a "server" for their network
> to host the ACT contact database program.
>
> Do you think that the ACT software work ok if it is executed
> and run from a SAMBA file share as opposed to running it off
> of a Windows 2000 or NT 4.0 server. it is a 5 user copy and
> will have 5 people using the software at the same time. If
> it was only going to be 1 or 2 users I would just have them
> run it from a windows file share on one of their PCs.

I don't know anything about ACT, but I know of a company that does this
with Access.  The Access data resides on the Samba server and the
clients access it via share.  It works, but as most folks will tell you
Access is a poor choice for such a solution.

> This company is on a very tight budget and really can't afford to pay
> me for my time to set up this "server" plus the costs of
> Windows server software. If I can save the day by using Linux, I am
> confident that they will see the benefits of using Linux
> instead of Windows on their systems.

All I can say is you will likely have to test it out to see if it works.
  Have you googled this?

> Their workstations are running Windows XP Home edition (yuckie!!!)  if this makes any difference.
> thanks for any thoughts or information you can give me about
> this subject.

The company I noted above is running XP pro and some ME machines.  I
doubt XP home will be a problem, if it works in they same way as the
Access solution.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995