[ale] What's so special about gmail invites?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 1 13:49:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:56:45AM -0400, Robert Reese wrote:
> *will* not have have Google or anyone else peruse through any email I send
> to a gmail user, and certainly am not interested in having Google sniff any
> email sent to me from a gmail account.  ;c)

As opposed to the various virus scanners and spam filters that sniff any
email you send?  Or the unscrupulous sysadmin at any of the servers your
email happens to pass through, who reads random email messages for the
fun of it?  Unless you use encryption, there is nothing secure or
private about email, no matter which provider you use.

In addition, there is a technical limitation to your gmail filter: there
is nothing that prevents any of your email recipients from forwarding
their email to a gmail account.  The *only* way to keep Google, or
anybody, from sniffing your email is to use encryption.

I suggest reading Google's statement addressing privacy and Gmail:
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/more.html

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9