[ale] "undeleteable" file

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Sep 1 11:26:47 EDT 2004

Preston Boyington wrote:
> I have a file/folder on my usb drive that is corrupt.  In the file
> name there are squares/numbers/?/+ and other such junk.  I believe
> that when my friend was using the drive he unplugged it while a
> transfer was in progress or maybe his XP machine locked it up.
>
> My problem is this: I can't delete the file from Windows or Linux.  I
> booted to a Knoppix disk that I had and it barfed when I tried to
> delete the file (gave me a similar error message as Windows,
> actually).  What is the best way to remove this file from the drive?
> Worst case I will remove all my good information and format it (8GB),
> but was hoping for a better way in case this should happen again.

There is some matching set of metacharacters that will remove the file.
    Can you provide specifics as to the name?   Pipe the output from
'ls' on the file to 'cat -evt' so that unprintable characters will be
represented.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995