[ale] Linux may rule the Super Computer list....

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 30 23:48:46 EDT 2004

A good way to get guaranteed good SGI hardware at lower prices is to buy
from www.xsnet.com located in Alpharetta.  Additionally, www.mce.com has
good prices but shipping is much higher since they are in California.
We use both these guys for hardware support since we depend on the
systems we have to run.  I finally have a 16p Origin 2400.  We are
getting decent performance on the codes we are running(NAMD and CHARMM),
however, I can't wait to build out the Linux cluster.  I've talked with
Jeffrey Layton for advice and have looked at Rackable's systems.  They
provide racks with built in DC to power each node so eliminating the A/C
power supplies.  With a diskless configuration we can increase the life
of the cluster by a order of magnitude.  It is a bit more expensive to
get the initial racks, and rectifiers, but I think longevity of the
hardware is important to me.
Dow