[ale] System advice for a newbie

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Oct 29 11:25:21 EDT 2004

You might also consider the SuSE 9.1 live trial CD, especially if you're
considering a SuSE load.  If you can test with your planned
distribution, then it would be more representative test.

I did some testing with an HP Pavilion just recently.  The biggest
problem I had was that I couldn't get full vertical resolution on the
WXGA screen.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
678-697-9420

>>>mhirsch at nubridges.com 10/29/04 10:49 am >>>
Another trick is to  bring a Knoppix CD with you to the store.  Before
purchasing, stick it in an reboot off the CD.  Knopix does a very nice
job of
detecting hardware and activating it.  Make sure that Knoppix finds all
the
hardware.

I haven't actually tested Knoppix with things like SATA hard drive or
firewire
ports.  They are probably detected and used, too.

Michael

Ale at ale.org