[ale] vonage service

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Fri Oct 29 10:02:27 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 09:25, Geoffrey wrote:
> Klepinger, Aaron wrote:
> > Bellsouth offers DSL without phone service in Georgia, as well, per
> > Georgia regulation.  I think it's like $10 more a month.  You can get
> > pricing at fastaccess.com, of course.
>
> I will not give Bellsouth any more of my business.
>
> > Also, the reviews on
> > DSLReports.com give Voicepulse the best rating.  Vonage is in the
> > middle of the pack and supposedly suffers from some voice quality
> > issues for some people.
>
> I've had absolutely no problems.  I've got my box inside my network, so
> it can't do the QOS control it's designed to do.  Just the same, I
> decided to test it, so while downloading a large file, I made a few
> phone calls.  Some drop outs at beginning and end of call, but nothing
> substantial.  I expect I wouldn't have that problem if I had put the
> device in front of everything else.

You could do some QOS on your linux router.
Voice quality is not the only problem - you might also get longer
delays. Once delays are beyond a certain threshold communication gets
funny as learned algorithms when to interrupt someone or stop talking
break down in hilarious ways.

Do you have any plans on firewalling the vonage box to protect your
inside network? For me just connecting a black box to an inside network
sounds wrong.

	Stephan