[ale] RMI Library

Denny Chambers dchambers at bugfixer.net
Tue Oct 26 20:58:43 EDT 2004

How about Corba, XML-RPC, or Soap. All of these have implementation in
C. Corba is probably the closest thing to RMI for C, but it is more
complicated to use. XML-RPC is really easy to use, but is somewhat
limited on the type of data you can pass. i.e no complex user defined
classes, but we are talking about C here, so maybe that is not an issue.
Plus you pass structs of simple data (string, ints, floats, booleans,
etc...). Soap seems to be the big Remote Method technology of choice
today. I haven't implemented anything using Soap, so I am not sure how
complex it is. If all you are pasing is String, and other primitive
types, I would go with XML-RPC, it is pretty simple to use. It doesn't
offer feature like Remote Listeners like RMI does, but you get some code
working pretty fast.

HTH,
Denny