[ale] Groupware (new)

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Oct 26 16:09:26 EDT 2004

I'm not sure whether you're looking for an open source solution, or just
one that will work with your Linux installed base.

In either case, what you are looking for is a tall order for one
product.

The closest thing to what you're asking for that I know of would be be
Notes/Domino.

Domino runs very well on Linux, and the client works well in Crossover
on Linux.

A couple of other commercial solutions on Linux would be SuSE
OpenEcxhange server, which isn't really client server for the groupware
functions, and Novell GroupWise on Linux.  With GroupWise you have all
the functions you're looking for using a Windows client, and to some
extent web access, but the GroupWise Linux client doesn't currently
support the document management and some of the third party workflow
plugins.

The new version (2.0) of Evolution will act as a native GroupWise
client, but I'm not sure how much of the full windows client
functionality will initially be available.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
678-697-9420

James Taylor wrote:

>Can you be a little more specific about your client requirements, and
>what specific groupware functions you're looking for?
>Groupware covers a lot of definitions.
>
>-jt
>

>James Taylor
>The East Cobb Group, Inc.
>james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
>678-697-9420

>Disregard that first email.
>
>What I need is a client/server groupware solution.
>
>Any ideas?

No problem. As of right now they use Kmail for email and a LDAP server
for a global address book. They want to be able to place projects on the

server and montior the progess of them. They also want to be able to do
the following: *Document Management, **Calendar, **Tasks and Workflows,
**Contacts, **E-mail.  *They want to be able to do this from one
program.

Clients: Mandrake 10
Servers: Redhat 9

--