[ale] DNS problems with comcast, anyone?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Oct 26 13:07:13 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 12:37 pm, Yu, Jerry wrote:
> It is the Netgear router in my case. I switched to Netgear 814NA last
> weekend from my own home-made linux router. During the notable delay, the
> status bar on Firefox says 'look up for blah.blah.site', while command line
> 'nslookup blah.blah.site' using comcast's DNS server returns proper IP
> right away. More revealing is, this was never a problem with my own
> Linux-based router (no DNS cache or proxy).

My router, too, is relatively new.  The problem is that I've had so many
problems with my network and other routers, that it is hard to say what the
behavior should be.  My previous router was fast soon after rebooting, but
quickly degraded.  The current one may or moy not be the problem.  But if you
are also having problems with Netgear, that seems significant.  Thanks.

I'm going to run some tests by putting in the name servers in
my /etc/resolv.conf file and seeing if it speeds up.  Very annoying.

> One related note: not sure what kind of processor Netgear 814NA use, but it
> struggles to reach 180 KBs for certain FTP/SSL session while I max out at
> the 200 KBs using my own P166 CPU-32M RAM-RH9 based router.

I don't think that is my problem.  I can get 300+ KB/s on my router.  It seems
plenty fast in that sense.

Michael