[ale] Ask Mr. RetroScience: PCMCIA I?/II?/III?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 20 12:30:31 EDT 2004

Matthew -

Thanks. I was about to throw in the towel, because I haven't found a
suitable driver and I'm not really sure yet about hardware compatibility.
THis gives me quite a bit more hope.

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Matthew Magee wrote:

> Your next step will be getting it set up.  Slack 9.1 should work out of
> the box if you installed the wireless tools package.

> Also, if you are having strange problems finding a driver that works,
> check the version # on the card.  Sometimes they switch to a completely
> different chip without changing model #s, just for kicks.

Yes, well that may be going on. D-Link calls this their 'V.1' hardware and
weren't any help about the chip type. Boot log identifies card by model,
with notation "ISL 37101P-10 A3". So far I've come up dry on that.

> Hope this link helps.
> http://www.wickle.com/weblog/index.php?p=49&more=1

_Well_ worth a try.

Thanks again. I'll file a battle report.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu