[ale] Rolling your own terminal emulator

John Wells lists at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Oct 20 10:33:46 EDT 2004

Christopher Fowler said:
> RFC's on emulation.
> You'll also need an understanding of the UNIX tty system.

Yes.  I guess what I'm looking for is a good starting point.  From my
review this morning, it appears that both "Advanced Programming in a Unix
Environment" (W. Richard Stevens) and "Linux Application Development"
(Michael K. Johnson) offer a fairly good overview of ttys/ptys and
termios.  As far as emulation goes, I ordered the "Big Book of Terminal
Emulation RFCs" (Peter Loshin) to have a copy of the RFCs I can hold in my
hand.

Hopefully, by reading the appropriate chapters in the above, I will gain
enough of an understanding to be dangerous.  I do understand it's a
significant undertaking to truly create your own, but we're extending the
Java Telnet Applet and will use most of the code already there.  Many of
our extensions are completely unrelated to emulation, but a few are
(specifically, at this point, terminal logging and tracing).

Thanks,

John