[ale] Teaching Opportunity

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Oct 18 23:22:36 EDT 2004

Lisa Bell wrote:
> Here is what the class needs to cover,
>
> Managing the LAMP installation in a ISP type environment:
>
> How to keep each customers webspace separate and secure from others.
> How to install and configure Perl.
> How to create and secure cgi-bin for each webspace.
> How to install and configure FTP.
> How to create FTP users and assign rights to each webspace.
> How to create and secure MySQL databases for each webspace.
> (PHPMyAdmin?)
> How to install and configure FrontPage Extensions.
> How to install and configure SSH access for each webspace.
> How to configure error logs for each separate webspace.
> How to configure Virtual Hosts in Apache.
> How to install and configure Analog with ReportMagic for each webspace.

You will not possibly be able to do this in two days.  Remove the word
secure in the above statements, then maybe.

> What machines and versions this will be taught on I am not aware of at
> this time but will have at the time of discussing in greater detail with
> interested persons.

Without knowing the target operating system, very few people could
answer the question as to whether they could teach this.  Securing
windows verses securing Linux are two totally different problems.

Yes, I could teach the above in a Linux environment, but could not give
it justice in two days.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995