[ale] memory questions

Barry Hawkins barry at alltc.com
Thu Oct 14 23:31:57 EDT 2004

Bjorn Roche wrote:

| On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:
|
|> Hey all,
|>
|>     I've decided it's time to upgrade memory on both my mac and my
|> FreeBSD server. I really want nice RAM because of past experiences [1]
|> so any general advice is appreciated in addition to specific answers:
|>
|> * My G4 450MHz crashes occasionally (frequently under heavy load) and
|> I am suspecting it's the RAM (I bought the machine used, and I am
|> writing my own software, so really it could be anything, but I want to
|> rule out RAM). Is Apple the best vendor?
|>
|> * My FreeBSD server has a paltry 256. It's vanilla ram, but it works
|> great so in this case I'd like to augment rather than replace it. The
|> MoBo manual says I need PC1600 or PC2100 DDR SDRAM. Can I buy
|> registered ECC RAM and expect it to play nice with the MoBo and
|> existing RAM or do I need to replace? Will the mobo even work with ECC
|> if it doesn't say so? I can't remember the speed of my existing RAM,
|> is that an issue?
|>

| Hey thanks to everyone! The Crucial web site worked really well and I
| got a Non ECC stick for my FreeBSD machine and it's noticably faster now
| (although according to /compat/linux/proc/meminfo, I'm not even coming
| close to needing it, but presumably I will at some point.) I'm having
| some luck finding other problems with my mac, so I'm not going to worry
| about its ram just yet.
|
| Thanks again,
|
|     bjorn
|

| -------------------
| Bjorn Roche
| XO Audio LLC
|
| http://www.xowave.com
| http://www.xoaudio.com
Bjorn,
~    Other World Computing (http://www.macsales.com) offers the exact
same (Samsung) memory that Apple sells, but for far less.  I use them
for my PowerBook memory, particularly machines still under AppleCare.
~    Nice meeting you at the group tonight; always a treat to meet
another Debian/Mac/Java guy.

Regards,
- --
Barry Hawkins