[ale] Multiprotocol chat client recommendations

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Oct 14 12:50:18 EDT 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 11:09 am, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations on good multiprotocol chat clients for
> Linux?  I am running Debian unstable w/KDE 3.3.  I use Fire on Mac OS X
> and have gotten used to having my Yahoo!, AIM, MSN, and ICQ accounts all
> in one app.

If you're using KDE 3.3, then definitely check out kopete.  It's part of KDE
3.3, so it's probably already installed.  It appears to support AIM,
Gadu-Gadu, ICQ, IRC, Jabber, MSN, SMS, and Yahoo.  I only use AIM and Yahoo,
myself.

I don't think it supports file sending or the little picture to represent
yourself, but otherwise it is very solid.  It integrates nicely into the KDE
system tray (as does GAIM).

Michael