[ale] Software Engineering/Testing consulting?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Oct 14 09:59:19 EDT 2004

Guys,

We've undertaken a large conversion effort of a proprietary legacy
application from Progress 4GL/Progress RDBMS/HPUX to
Java/PostgreSQL/Linux.

We're outsourced the brunt of the development, but are reponsible for
developing test cases that "prove" the correctness of the new system
versus the old.  This is a conversion, not a rewrite, so functionality
between the two systems is supposed to be identical.

Problem is, the test case generation is almost as daunting as the
conversion itself.  We have approximately 850K lines of Progress code...a
large ERP system.

I'm looking for references for consultants or consulting companies who
might be able to mentor my team for some time and help us get going in the
right direction.  We have a capable group and can wing it, but I'll feel
more comfortable with help from someone who's done this sort of work
before.

Anyone have any suggestions or contacts?

Thanks for the help.

John