[ale] ADSL filters?

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Tue Oct 12 12:38:46 EDT 2004

it depends on what sort of filters you have. If you have good ones that
filter the "noise" (the adsl signal) from one port, but not the other,
you can connect all your phone jacks to the one, and you adsl modem to
the other. Theoretically this could be done anywhere in your house. This
is essentially what the phone tech does when he runs a "dedicated jack"
for the modem. I've seen that even the quality of the filters one uses
varies. I have some I got from BS years ago that still seem to work
quite well, but one I got recently from them did a poor job with the
hiss on the voice lines.

At my house, we have a filter dangling from each wall jack. Its clunky,
but it works. This is mainly because my reasonably new townhouse is
wired with both cat5 and cat3, but all the connectors in the patch panel
are rj45, and won't fit in any of the filters I have. I've been just
plain too lazy to recrimp them.

Mike

Josh Freeman wrote:
> No, but I've wondered if there is a way to put the filter somewhere near
> the junction box  and run a separate line to the ADSL jack. It seems a
> bit kludgy to have to put filters on all the lines save one. Does anyone
> know if that would work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh
>

> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 12:20, Charles Shapiro wrote:
>
>>If you're running ADSL broadband, where do you put the filter?
>>
>>Right now, I have my broadband connection plugged into a semi-random
>>phone line in my house, with a filter and a handset on the other plug of
>>the filter. Voice performance is so poor that my wife is unplugging the
>>DSL connection, thus leading to much wacky hilarity.
>>
>>SpeedFactory says the ADSL phone cable and filter should  be upstream of
>>_all_ my voice handsets. This sounds reasonable. Anyone else having
>>similar Troubles?
>>
>>-- CHS

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307