[ale] Mandrake 10.1 wierdness

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Oct 11 11:27:02 EDT 2004

Mandrake 10.1 was released recently, so of course I had to try it out.  I've
been having a real weird problem and I was wondering if it is affecting
anyone else.

I boot into runlevel 5.  When kdm comes up I have about 10 seconds until the
keyboard stops working.  If I type fast, I can get my password typed and boot
into KDE, and it boots fine, but the keyboard doesn't work there, either.

I kinda solved it by moving the kmd startup to the end of the runlevel 5 init
scripts.  That means that somewhere there is an init script that is breaking
the X keyboard if it runs after X starts up.

Anyone having this problem?  If it is common, then I can't believe that made
it through QA.  In case it was my bizarre setup (not that bizarre, really,
but it has accumulated some cruft over the years of upgrades) I did a fresh
install from scratch and still had that problem.

Other than this issue, I like 10.1.  I don't see much new in it--it seems to
be pretty much a .x release.  One thing I like is that they provide KDE 3.3
on the fourth CD.  It took me a while to figure out how to point the upgrade
system to it, but now I have a nice 3.3 system at home.  Actually, there was
one additional problem there with some conflicting RPMs, but one I got past
that I was happy.

Michael