[ale] Greg's using "those guys" ; -) (was: could somebody moderate this?)

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Thu Oct 7 13:43:48 EDT 2004

>From: Barry Hawkins <barry at alltc.com>
>Subject: [ale] Greg's using "those guys" ;
>	-)  (was: could somebody moderate this?)
>Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:26:11 -0400
>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>
>On Oct 7, 2004, at 9:40 AM, Preston Boyington wrote:

[...]

>>> * Needs to be easily updatable.  CVSup is ok.  I am fine with
>>> a command line.
>>
>> err, apt-get?  aptitude?
>
>I have found apt-get and aptitude quite good, and better at identifying
>dependency issues than CVSup, but that's just my personal opinion from
>experience.

CVSup doesn't "do" dependency things (at least not from
what I've ever seen), it only updates the source tree.
Dependencies would be handled via the various makefiles & such
(e.g. the toolchain).

[...]

>For a laptop that needs a decent collection of userland apps,
>definitely FreeBSD.
>[...]
>>> FreeBSD has java,jboss, netbeans, and smarty in it's package
>>> system.  No one else has any of them (linux only has java).  They have
>>> embraced java as well as kept things relatively light.  Is used by
>>> many large
>>> installations.  I am well versed in OpenBSD so it's familiar and
>>> easily updateable (but it puts a strain on the system during make
>>> (buildworld/installworld/buildkernel/installkernel) as
>>> opposed to Debians binary download).  FreeBSD will also allow me to
>>> use packages
>>> or ports (more configurable).  Just hope it recognizes the
>>> shift-fn-keypad
>>> combo (IT DOES !!! DANG !! SWEET!!) so I can manipulate screen resolutions
>>> on the box.
>>
>A couple of caveats on FreeBSD's java support.  First, there is no
>native jdk/jre.  You have to use Linux JDKs with Linux binary

Oh, but there is, running it now.  (Althought mine is built from
source.)  It's available in both binary and source; look for
the "diablo" things in packages.  Caveat - it's 1.3.something.
The FreeBSD project got their 1.3.x Java certified a few months
ago, IIR(U)C.

>compatibility enabled.  Second, you can compile your own native JDK
>using the java/jdk14 port in FreeBSD, but be aware that it is a journey
>involving the initial install of the Sun Linux JDK to bootstrap the
>build, the download of several of the Sun SCSL-licensed source package
>(you have to download these manually, due to licensing technicalities;
>the package cannot do it automatically), the download of the necessary
>patchset from the guy at eyesbeyond.com who maintains it on his own,
>and then the install.  At the end of all that effort, you find that the
>licensing implies stuff so shaky that you expect to get an email from
>Scott McNealy with an MP3 of the C.O.P.S. soundtrack attached to it -
>appropriately licensed, of course.

Main thing I've seen with the 1.4 built is that it's humongous
(2gb or so?) & takes a long time.

>If Java support is a big issue for you, I would urge you to consider a
>full-fledged Debian install.

Well, the "latest & greatest" Java support is (at least for
the moment) "elsewhere" from FreeBSD {sigh}.  But they're working on it...

>> I haven't used FreeBSD in a couple of years, but it wouldn't "bother
>> me" to use it again.  Although I would probably go NetBSD for a
>> desktop system unless the FreeB's have caught up to them with hardware
>> support.
>
>FreeBSD should be way more than adequate in terms of hardware support
>for an x86 laptop of the vintage referenced above.
>>
>>> So the only thing I have left right now is it recognizing the
>>> cardbus nic.

Should work (in FreeBSD 5.x especially, I'd think), assuming
it's a supported NIC.  {shrug}  Check their Hardware Compatibility List.