[ale] could somebody moderate this?

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Thu Oct 7 00:45:55 EDT 2004

Sure;
	It is an ancient IBM ThinkPad 390E with little RAM that I use as 1) a
mobile "crash cart" for my home network and 2) as a dev box when I work with
other developers and as a 3)demo box for clients.  So the requirements are
as follows:

* Needs to run light stuff.  Windows 2000 Pro and Suse 9.1 are dual booted
on a 2nd HD but they are really slow.  So I use mainly a 6 GB HD.

* Req'd programs are vi, quanta, bluefish, aterm, xterm, a file manager,
ssh, scp, LinNeighborhood (and samba client), jboss (or cuacho resin),
apache, tomcat, netbeans, j2ee, postgresql, php, smarty, ADOdb, pear,
abiword, gnumeric, mozilla firefox, mozilla thunderbird, and a lite wm -
either IceWm or xfce (evaluating both right this minute).  This will handle
my php and java dev stuff as well as light office requirments.

* Needs to be easily updatable.  CVSup is ok.  I am fine with a command
line.

Summary of what we have tried or thought about;

Debian is too constrictive (just blew away the libranet distro for too many
conflicts in a postgresql install). Don't have time for that crap.  But was
ok for an hour or so.  Probably should have not upgraded from stable and
gone to current/release/whatever it's called.  Too many os's today.

OpenBSD seemed to look like crap on the screen.  Sacrifices cutting edge for
stability and security.

Windows 98 lite could be a possibility but it's too heavy I think ... and I
don't want to pay any $$$ for this operation.

Suse 9.1 was too heavy also, but a close second place.  Programs work well,
but they still put too much crap on it.

Slackware - I have no experience using it and it's probably not cutting edge
enough.  Sacrifices cutting edge (latest and greatest + lots of choices) for
stability.  Don't have any CD's around and not interested in wasting vinyl
and time on it.

RH/Fedora/whatever - I left them when they abandoned the home user market.
Don't have any CD's around and not interested in wasting vinyl and time on
it.

FreeBSD has java,jboss, netbeans, and smarty in it's package system.  No one
else has any of them (linux only has java).  They have embraced java as well
as kept things relatively light.  Is used by many large installations.  I am
well versed in OpenBSD so it's familiar and easily updateable (but it puts a
strain on the system during make
(buildworld/installworld/buildkernel/installkernel) as opposed to Debians
binary download).  FreeBSD will also allow me to use packages or ports (more
configurable).  Just hope it recognizes the shift-fn-keypad combo (IT DOES
!!! DANG !! SWEET!!) so I can manipulate screen resolutions on the box.

So the only thing I have left right now is it recognizing the cardbus nic.

Greg