[ale] [OT] Dell Optiplex SX270 Motherboard Failure

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 6 13:17:19 EDT 2004

I had a Dell Optiplex SX 270 (small form factor..about the size of a box
of waffles) quit powering up.  Spent some time resetting the BIOS,
trying now power supplies (external), etc, etc.  My student worker
(CompE student) leaned over and pointed at a capacitor that had blown.
The thing had oozed out the top and fried, and no power was getting
anywhere.  The box is only 1 year old (under warranty), and has some of
the cleanest power on campus, so I can only assume that the parts used
were the cheapest available.

Called tech support, and the tech asked me "Have you tried a new
motherboard?".  I just had to laugh at her.

Anyway, I seemed to remember someone on this list bemoaning poor quality
components in computers, and now I can testify to it.

:(

Jonathan Glass