[ale] CD reader/writer woes

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:07:51 EDT 2004

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:23:03 -0400, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> Pete Hardie wrote:
> > Ok, so here's the story:
> >
> > CD R/W drive,  RH 9, XCDRoast works just fine, I can read data CDs,
> > fine, and the Gnome CD player works fine, but Grip repeatedly
> > fails,losing the CD info and saying "No Disk"
>
> Try a different burning software?  Drop to the command line and give
> cdrecord a try.  Install k3b, give it a spin.

The burning software seems fine, I just have trouble playing CDs via
grip.  I'm trying to get some Halloween music ripped for a big set of
shuffled songs on the 31st, and I'm trying to listen to tracks on
grip, and then rip the ones I like.   I appear to be able to rip
tracks in most cases, but listening to  tracks gets lots of "no Disc"
errors.

> > The CD is a Cendyne 522452AU, and it has worked well in the past.
>
> Worked well on this same hardware?

If memory serves, yes, but I've been swapping the family's machines
too much over the past 2 years to be certain.