[ale] X10 cameras and Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Oct 4 11:50:32 EDT 2004

Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>>Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:36:08 -0400
>>From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
>>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>>Subject: Re: [ale] X10 cameras and Linux
>>
>>As long as you look for bttv based cards, you should be in pretty good
>>shape.  I have a link somewhere for a company that makes reasonably
>>priced capture cards, I'll see if I can locate it and post it.
>

> Might that be Hauppauge?  http://www.hauppauge.com/
> They're the WinTV people.  Best I can tell, nice products &
> good service.

Although the do have nice cards (I have 4 of them), I don't think they
make a purely capture card.  I believe all of their cards have a tuner,
which jacks the price up and is totally useless for this purpose.  You
can get a pci capture card with a single bttv chip and single input for
about $20.  There's a company that I purchased my 4 input card from that
makes these, just can't find the link.  I have a captivator pci card
that works very well, but can't find them anywhere now.

Found the website. http://www.ituner.com/

If you really want the best stuff, go for the 4 input/4 chip card, but
it's pricey, $395:

http://www.ituner.com/spectra.htm

They even list Linux as one of the supported OSs.

They've also got one for $99 that has 4 inputs but one chip.

http://store.ituner.com/ituner/videopack878.html

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995