[ale] OT: unformat for fat

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Oct 3 09:56:07 EDT 2004

Stephan Uphoff wrote:

> In case you are desperate:

I am in some cases, others I am not.  I'm happily married, oh, wait,
you're referring to the erased images topic,,, sorry... :)

> I would dd the complete flash to a file.

Did this.

> If you are not in the habit of deleting single pictures directly on the
> camera then each files should be sequentially on your flash image.

This was simply reformated in the camera by the format option on that menu.

> Take a look at man file and man magic and find the magic jpg file start
> string. Extract an image starting at a sector boundary with the magic
> string until the end of the flash image (or maybe the next magic
> string).
> Try to open with various image programs.

I'm beginning to believe the format trashed everything.  I can't imagine
that the format on the camera could possibly rewrite every bit, but
that's what it appears to have done.  How long would it take to write
128 mb??? Looking at the data with a binary editor shows basically the
initial directory data that is created by the camera and then everything
else on the media appear to be either 00 or FF.

I put this aside for a while, got to make a living. :)  I'll be looking
at it again today though.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995