[ale] Keyboard lockups

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Oct 1 15:05:53 EDT 2004

Keep an ssh session open from another system into your box. When the
keyboard locks up, grab the other system and start killing off the
latest app your were using and testing to see if that app was the one
that killed the keyboard.

I have hit this problem before in Gnome. (I don't use KDE but I'm sure
it can happen there as well) Basically an app with too much privilege
overwrites the keyboard listener then it hangs as it no longer gets
input. There was a big gnome clean up that happened around v1.6 that
resolved most of these issues. I have not tested the new 1.8 (yet).