[ale] spyware and IE

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon May 24 14:19:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 13:51, Fulton Green wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 01:40:29PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > Is any other browser besides IE that is susceptible to the current
> > onslaught of spyware? I have been using this as a reason to migrate
> > people away from IE. So far, none of my Mozilla/Firefox users have been
> > hit with anything (yet). I'm reasonably sure that the underlying
> > technology is sufficiently different that the spyware would need to be
> > written for the new browsers. But I'm not sure.
> >
> > Are these new, evil things (spyware, etc) exploiting browser technology
> > or just poor security models in IE?
>
> Is Mozilla able to install ActiveX controls under Windows, or is Moz
> still insistent on the Netscape-style plugin architecture?

I'm not sure if Moz supports active X or not. I hope not. That seems to
be the attack vector for the spyware. I had a client whose machine
became unstable when it was invaded by multiple version of the same 5-8
spyware apps.

>  Most of the
> spyware I've seen is dependent upon a user hitting "OK" to the standard
> permission-to-install-ActiveX-control dialog.  It's the same process that
> lets a user install Sun's JRE and Macromedia's Flash stuff.

Many people I clean up after have the default stuff intact on their
security setting. That means Active-X is on with no confirmation. Yowch!