[ale] Linux Consumer Advocacy

Sigmascape1 at cs.com Sigmascape1 at cs.com
Thu May 20 09:52:29 EDT 2004

Hi,

How many of you guys work with Linux on a individual/consumer use level? In other words, how many of you guys tout Linux as a replacement for Windows XYZ on home systems? I am just curious about this issue. Obviously, almost every single day, if you look on the right website, you can find new articles or editorials dealing with Linux on systems that are not considered business systems.

This is an area of oss and Linux that interests me greatly. Most of my friends/relatives/associates are Windows users. Usually this is the case because they are not aware of the fact that there are alternatives, many alternatives. Regardless of what I read, especially negative Linux editorials about using Linux at home, I am 100% convinced that Linux is ready for non-technical users, especially if the users are not big gamers. What many people do not realize is that if you grow up using or are simply comfortable with a Windows 95-like system, Linux is almost a drop-in-place replacement for a lot of uses. FUD is a constant battle with Linux on SOHO/Small Business/Enterprise desktops, but one of the big issues with consumer-level acceptance is the fact that the 'average' computer user has never heard of Linux or even oss.

Also, as a side, I believe that most consumers would be greatly interested in free products... possibly more interested in 'FREE AS BEER,' more than 'FREE AS IN FREE SPEECH.'

What do you think?

Mitch Featherston