[ale] aio calls

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue May 18 16:02:49 EDT 2004

I had to do some I/O-intensive development a few years ago, and I did some
experimenting with AIO as well as the multithreading.  I may have even
tried a combo for kicks.

Since I didn't have a clue what async I/O was before my boss (an S/360
hacker) explained it to me, I went out and bought a book from O'Reilly
that covered AIO and some other aspects of the POSIX.4 realtime
extensions standard:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/posix4/

The standard also has some other cool things about it, such as a less
klutzy API for IPC and the ability to set timers.

Also, Google came up with this page:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/aio_read.html

HTH