[ale] Kernel Panic

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sun May 16 23:08:40 EDT 2004

On Sat, 15 May 2004, Brandon Colbert wrote:

> My client is experiencing boot problem. I had to use a boot disk to boot
> their server. After I repaired, resized the /boot partition and mbr it
> finally booted up with out the boot disk, but half-way during the boot
> process I got this message (Kernel panic no init found try passing init =
> option to kernel) and then the keyboard locks up leaving the caps lock and
> scroll lock indicator light flashing.
>
> When I put in the boot disk, it boots up fine.

Work through the key steps of the boot process:

lilo loads kernel + initrd
kernel mounts initrd
kernel mounts / ro
kernel runs init
init does setup things (fsck, remount / rw, init scripts)

You're dying when it tries to run init. That could be cause (it can't find
/sbin/init) or it could be effect (it can't mount /, so therefore it can't
run init). Focus on the three middle steps and work from there....

later,
chris