[ale] Suse Professional Questions

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 13 15:35:19 EDT 2004

Greg wrote:
> Has anyone bought, used, and perhaps tested the Suse 9.1 Professional Update
> ?  I have always heard that with a *nix, it was better to re-install than
> update (unless it was Debian).

FYI, When you purchase the SuSE update, you get the same media as the
full version.  You just don't get the same books.

That being said, I've done one update of SuSE 9.0 (not 9.1) and it was
flawless.  I generally do not do updates for the reason you noted above
and also, so I have somewhere to return to if things don't work out.

What I do is an install on free space on the same box.  I'll usually let
/home remain /home. So, right now I have a dual boot on my primary box
of SuSE 9.0 and SuSE 9.1.

I did the same with my laptop, only it's a dual boot of SuSE 9.0 and Red
Hat Workstation.